The alarm clock sounds, the couple spring out of bed today, they are traveling to the other side of the world. They have been waiting for their Europe tour for over six months and now the day has arrived. But there is one mammoth obstacle they must overcome before touchdown and the start of their adventure.
The dreaded red eye flight they will be catching that evening. Flying from New York to Frankfurt landing before 06:00 in the morning. Crossing multiple time zones will drain their energy and make them extremely fatigued, and may even cause them to take a recovery day or two.
What’s A Red Eye Flight?
A red eye flight is a flight that has been scheduled to depart at night and arrive at the destination the following morning. This term red eye comes from one of the symptoms of an overnight flight. But red eyes are not the only symptoms people can experience. Others often include dehydration, headaches and nausea. These symptoms are also associated with jet lag.
There are many tips and tricks out there to help people combat redeye flights and jet lag. We are going to look at what works best to reduce the effects of these overnight flights. One of our favourite natural remedies is using CBD oil for sleep. This will help get your sleeping on track and will also help your preflight anxiety, but for more information follow the link above. CBD benefits will help keep your energy levels up if you are looking for a beach holiday. Or maybe ensuring you tick off your itinerary list of ten things to do in Dubrovnik.
Remedies To Overcome Red Eye Flight
There are a number of factors that come into play causing red eyes while flying. This is usually a combination of the overnight flight elements, temperature in the cabin of the plane, along with the lack of moisture around your eyes. This lubrication protects your eyes and helps them to repair from the small damages they take daily.
Now we know what the symptoms are that cause the red eye effects. Now we can look at ways to overcome a red eye plane flight.
- As we mentioned earlier CBD oil for sleep is a great way to get your body and mind back into the swing of a good sleep cycle. It is recommended to take this sleep oil at least one week before the departure date.
This ensures the body is used to taking CBD and it helps regulate sleeping cycles so the body is well rested before the departure date.
- One of the most difficult things is falling asleep on a plane, this can be caused by a number of different factors, like flight anxiety, disruption, turbulence and even crossing multiple time zones.
Even if there is no urge to sleep, getting a couple of hours in before landing will be a huge benefit in the fight against the red eye flights.
- Another tip to keep in the arsenal is staying hydrated. One of the main factors causing red eyes is that there is not sufficient lubrication (tears) for the eyes. Keeping hydrated may seem counterintuitive for sleeping. Who wants to get up for the restroom every 45 minutes?
Keeping hydrated helps the body function normally, and can minimize headaches that are commonly associated with flying, which makes the jet lag significantly worse. For more information on dehydration follow this link.
- Going hand in hand with keeping hydrated is to avoid alcoholic beverages, since alcohol is a dehydrating agent. Starting the vacation off early on the plane is a great way to get into the holiday spirit, especially with a celebratory bottle of champers. By all means enjoy the celebrations but just make sure there is sufficient water intake at the same time.
Caffeine can cause a similar issue, and can prevent the body from falling asleep. If a cup of coffee is being carved rather look at grabbing a cup of decaf. For more information on the effect of caffeine follow this link.
- The air inside the aircraft cabin is extremely dry, a nice quick tip is to make sure that the little vent that controls the airflow to your seat is not pointed directly on the face. As this air is dry and it will cause the eyes to dry out, creating red blood vessels desperately trying to rehydrate the eyes.
- Comfort is key, selecting the right seat before the flight can be the difference between having a stressful flight and a relaxed journey. Having the right gear is also important. Things like eye masks for the cabin lights, comfortable headphones or, even better, noise cancelling headphones will help with keeping calm, especially if there are toddlers or kids on the same flight.
Keeping eye drops on hand for when you need them is also a bonus. Lastly, dress for the flight not the destination, being in comfortable clothes can help a lot with falling asleep, as well as having a pillow and blanket on hand. Keeping moisturizer in the travel bag to rehydrate your skin in the dry cabin will help aid in comfort.
Concluding | The Red Eye Flight
The holiday destination is in sight, the last stretch, 3 hours to go! Thankfully that toddler has finally got to sleep. Okay 3 hours, definitely enough time to get some sleep in. But those tight pants are causing pins and needles! Maybe a quick walk to the restroom will bring the feeling back.
All these little annoyances are the reason why people get red eyes and severe jet lag after a flight. We have provided the tips and tricks that you can use when doing the overnight flight.
In summary, what does red eye flight mean? Or what is a red eye flight? This is basically a flight that departs in the evening (at night) and arrives at the destination the following morning.
So, keep hydrated, don’t drink excessive alcohol and caffeine, dress comfortably, and get plenty of sleep.
These tips and tricks will help with the jetlag and reduce the impact of red eyes ensuring the best possible start to your vacation!